Can’t wait for 2017 to be done and over? If I’m being totally honest, it was a mixed year of great joy and true anxiety. I’m grateful for the happiness and the lessons. And, as I think back on what it is that I want to release and make space for in the coming year, I have realized it isn’t just a matter of letting go. The events and the emotions and repercussions (both short and long term) will linger and have an effect on us for the rest of our lives. I’m not saying this is a negative thing, but it is a thing that I never really stopped to consider before. So, I offer the best possible solution I can think up on this topic and that is the importance of being present. And, by being present I mean really, truly being in the present moment.
- Having the wisdom of the past and the value of the lessons truly become a part of who you are and how you make decisions and act and live each and every day.
- Watch and learn from all that is unfolding in front of you and around you. The people and the events with whom we interact are all on our path for a reason. We have something to learn in each moment.
- Trust your instincts. Check in with yourself regularly through meditation, journaling, long walks in nature, whatever it is that puts you in touch with you and learn to listen to the wisdom of being with yourself. Learn to let your inner voice guide you.
- Remain unattached from a singular outcome. Being present, in part, means knowing what you want, moving toward it, yet being open to what is unfolding and adjusting as you go. The mystery of the journey often brings us greater reward than the journey’s end.
- Gratitude. Gratitude. Gratitude. Be oh so grateful for what you have. This is the fullness of life. The wanting for more is a void and does not provide nourishment, just more need. Gratitude fulfills and creates space for abundance.
- Compassion. Know in your heart that just as you have great days and not so great moments they are just that for others. We are all doing our level best in any given moment. Sometimes we just need a break, a helping hand, a smile to encourage and shift the moment. These acts of generosity and compassion are always more of what we need and the best of what we can offer others.
As I said at the beginning of this post, this is just the best I have to offer at this moment. Anyone willing to give it a try with me? We have nothing but a fresh perspective with which to start the new year.
© 2017-2018 Lotus Seed Meditations and RJ Lisander All Rights Reserved